The Yangon Central Railway Station (fig.) was first
built by the British in 1877, but was then destroyed by them
in 1943 during WWII, as they retreated to India when Japanese enemy forces were advancing.
Though initially in Victorian style, it was in 1954 rebuilt in
traditional Burmese style, with tiered roofs known as
and is now the largest railway station