Name of a fortress on the Western bank of
Irrawaddy River (fig.),
Ava and named after the district of
Sagaing (fig.) it is
located in. It was built in a
semi-circle by French and Italian engineers
during the reign
Mindon Min (fig.)
and is one of three forts built along the river in defense of Mandalay, the
Sin Kyone Fortress (fig.)
Tha Byae Tan Fortress (fig.).
During the third and final Anglo-Burmese War, which was fought from 7 to 29
November 1885, a 2,726 strong army, made up of both foot soldiers and cavalry,
reportedly used Asaykhan Fortress as their base camp to fight the British colonial troops.
Following the war, an independent Burma lost
its sovereignty under the Konbaung dynasty and Burma became a province of
British India, under the rule of the British Raj, whilst
the Burmese King Thibaw Min was dethroned and exiled to India, together with the
rest of the royal family.